Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Reflection on class presentation

Since young, I always feel that it is a great challenge for me to present my ideas formally in front of a group of people due to my lack of confidence in my English language ability. However, I am aware that presenting skills is very important in today’s society, this is an especially important aspect for my intended future career, teaching.

This class presentation not only gives me an opportunity to present my essay and receive feedback from my teacher and peers, it also gives me the opportunity to observe how my peers present and learn from their presentation. Through my friend’s presentation, it also led me to reflect on my own presentation. I realised that in a presentation, depending on who is the audience, I need to explain some terminologies well. For example, in my presentation, I introduces “Gini-coefficient” without explaining the meaning of it. Also, I also learnt that I need to engage my audience more by having more eye contact with the audience.
I feel that it is good to introduce this class presentation aspect to the future batch of students taking this module. Although most of us dreaded giving presentations, it is undeniable that this opportunity valuable as we can learn how to present formally and receive feedbacks on our presenting skills. This skills is definitely useful to prepare ourselves for presentations in other modules which we will be graded in both the content and delivery.

If this class presentation is to be made compulsory for the future batch of students, I would suggest that it can be placed earlier in the semester where the students are still less tied down by other modules and they will have more time to prepare. In addition, since it is supposed to be a learning process for the students, it will be better if it remains ungraded so that students can treat it as a learning process rather than preparing it just for the grades.


I am very motivated by the TED talk, instead of hiding from what we fear, we should grab hold of all the opportunities and face our fear. Fake that we can do it until we really can do it without fear. This really motivates me to speak up more so that I can be a better speaker in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much, Corrina, for this comprehensive, honest reflection. I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete